Bookmark and Share

Not ready to call your local council?

If you are a private foster carer, your child is being privately fostered or you know of a child being privately fostered you must inform your local council.

However if you would like to talk it through with someone first please call the BAAF advice line in your area:

England Advice and Information Service:
0203 597 6116 (Mon - Fri, 9am-1pm)
Wales: 029 2076 1155

Alternatively try one of these other organisations:

Children’s Legal Centre
0845 1202948
The Children's Legal Centre has many years of experience in providing legal advice and representation to children, their carers and professionals throughout the UK.

Fosterline ... the foster carers’ adviceline 0800 040 7675
Fosterline, provides confidential, independent and impartial advice about all fostering issues, including private fostering. Fosterline advisers listen carefully to callers before suggesting the next steps that the caller can take to deal with any fostering-related issue. Every year Fosterline offers advice to thousands of callers and also helps them to identify how to access other services and sources of support.

Grandparents' Association
National advice and Information line 0845 4349585

Children and Families Across Borders (CAFAB)
0207 735 8941
CAFAB is a registered charity which assists individuals and professionals in child and family welfare issues concerning two or more countries. Their helpline is open Monday to Friday, 10:00-13:00 & 14:00-16:00. Alternatively e-mail

Prisoners' Families Helpline
0808 8082003
If you are looking after a child because their parent(s) are in prison you can talk to the Prisoner’s Families Helpline, a free and confidential telephone service.

Victoria Climbié Foundation
An independent rights-based charity working with children and families; offering a link between statutory agencies, care services, and BME communities.